Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Greatest Hills in North America

     Now I don't just mean hills in the middle of roads. I'm talking mountain roads. A lot of downhill racers ride down THESE hills. Anyways, the title of this post says the greatest hills in North America. That could mean the US or Canada.
     Downhill racers' videos are usually shot in the West. More or less the North West. These are places such as Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington state, and especially British Columbia in the Canadian Rockies. I didn't know this for the longest time, but most the downhill racers you see on YouTube are in fact Canadian, such as Patrick Switzer and Mischo Erban. Both of which are world record holders for the fastest longboard slide at 60mph/100kph (Switzer) and the fastest speed on a longboard/skateboard without assistance from a vehicle at a jaw-dropping 88mph/120kph. Forgive me if I'm wrong about the kilometers. In the US we go by miles instead.
     Let's get back on topic. Vancouver, British Columbia is a hotspot for longboards and skateboards both due to its mountainous surroundings and the scenery. The city of Vancouver is gigantic so there are a lot of big hills whether it be on those big mountain roads or in some neighborhood. Another hotspot for races is called the Maryhill Freeride. A lot of racing teams and/or board companies go there annually to skate down this beautiful hill in this secluded area of Washington state. I cant say that I have seen videos in Denver, Colorado surprisingly enough and I don't know why! I used to go there for a couple of months a year for four years and its beautiful there and there is nothing but hills out there. Same thing with Portland, Oregon. Hills everywhere. I used to live in Oregon and California so I have seen my fair share of hills and I must say I wish I still lived out there. Its so flat here.
     Yeah so if I have any westerners reading this, all I have to say is: Don't take skating for granted. Your land is to awesome not to skate there.

No comments:

Post a Comment